Friday, September 24, 2010

Mabon.

So, if you've been reading my blog all along, or if you've just read through ALL the posts on the site, you'll know two things relating to this topic.

1) I usally don't like to talk about religion, but I make an exception at major holidays or times when I have to spend a lot of time at a church.

2) I'm Pagan, more specifically Wiccan, but I usually don't bring that up either because it's really misunderstood and I'm kinda stubborn.

And if you haven't read all the posts, now you know.

I know I've written all about this before, but, since I know there's at least one new person reading this post, I'll explain again.

Paganism is really stereotyped. Basically, a pagan is anyone who doesn't practice Judiasm, Islam, or some form of Christianity and does have some belief system. Historically, Pagans are talked about as polytheistic, idol-worshippers who do human sacrifices. That is, however, not true today, and, depending on the culture in question, might not have even been true in the past. For example- I'm a pacifistic vegetarian. Would you expect me to be sacrificing anything? And this whole "heathen" thing- the world literally means "one who does not follow your god/gods." I personally find being called a "heathen" kind of insulting.

If possible, Wicca is even more stereotyped. In fact, I'm somewhat wary of even labelling myself that, because it rarely ever leads well. And, even then, I'm not what most people - even well informed, non stupid people- think of when they think of Wicca. I don't practice my faith with a coven. I don't drink wine and sing songs and pound on drums and burn incense in the dead of night. And I definitely don't eat human children, or make blood sacrifices, or chew hallucenogenic drugs or call on the devil or anything like that. I practice alone, and I'm the only one I know who shares my beliefs. I wasn't lead into this dangerous cult by some man who pretended to be nice and then tried to rape me. I did research, and thought long and hard, and then came to my own decision (and my decision was not due to Harry Potter, nor is it connected in ANY WAY). My rituals and prayers and castings are a little different every time, and I come up with them on my own, or collect bits and pieces from a variety of sources. So, basically, I practice Eclectic Wicca (because there are different kinds). But mostly I just refrain from commenting or just say "pagan" if anyone asks. Usually the first.

I should elaborate on my rituals, because, as a general rule, what we don't know, we fear. And we fear the worst. Yesterday was the Equinox, which is a holiday known as Mabon (May, like the month, Bun, like a hot dog bun), where we recognize the passing of the seasons and the balance between the darkness of winter and the light of summer. It's also sort of like Thanksgiving, with appreciation for the gifts you've been blessed with. My ritual yesterday went very much like this, although, as I said, oftentimes it's different. This one lacked much structure because I was rushed and didn't have time to prepare a proper ceremony kind of thing. But it's okay. Unlike Christianity, my form of eclectic Wicca doesn't require theatrics.

First, I took a long shower, so I could be physically clean before worship, and mentally clear, because under the warm water is a great time to calm down and forget about how freaking stressful the day was.

Dried off, got changed into a nice, simple dress that I usually don't wear any other time.

Came into my room. Turned the lights off, because it makes it seem more important to me, and keeps me from being distracted, and lit some candles, so I could actually see. These were brown and orange, Mabon colors.

Then I made my sacred circle, which basically just involves clearing a space, making it nice, defining boundries, `and then saying "I'm not going to leave until I'm done."

I consecrated my circle. Basically just "this is really important and I know it."

I lit my gold and silver candles, which represent the Goddess and God. I'm not technically polytheistic, or even duotheistic, or monotheistic, but then again, I'm technically all three. I won't go into it.

Now, the ritual. Sometimes I go through this whole thing with light and dark and whatever at the Sabbats (there's 8 throughout the year), but this time I just talked for awhile about what it meant for me and what I was thankful for and what I was worried about, and my aspirations and fears and whatever else popped into my head and seemed applicable.

A couple spells for support and health, etc.

Then, I closed up my circle, put everything away, changed, and went for a walk. Being outside is really important to me, especially at the equinox and religious time periods.

Okay, that's all you'll get on the subject until Samhain (sa-wane, Halloween).

And Sam, you gossip about this and I'll make an exception on the whole "no human sacrifice" thing. (JKr, JKr.)

4 comments:

Xtreme Enigma said...

Finally a new post. Anyway first off i will not "gossip" as you put it. I won't say anything and I havent.. I found this really interesting and honestly a little unnerving but who am I to judge you. I actually want to research this. I kinda like that way of religion. Is this your own way of sacredness or do you follow specific rules of Wiccan. Make more posts and keep me in your prayers, I mean rituals.

Celly said...

Sorry I haven't been posting. First off, thank you. Second, why do you find it unnerving? I'm interested. Please elaborate. Third, If you're looking to research it, you're going to find a lot of different stuff, some of it good and some of it bad. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. In answer to your question, this is my own way of worship, and, again, there's a lot of different things involved depending on the culture or section or whatever, so there's really not specific rules- there's no bible or Torah or anything like that. I'll try to make more posts, and I will keep you in my prayers.

Gosh, it's so weird to talk about my religion, since I usually REALLY don't.

CJ said...

Would this be considered more of a Spiritual Ritual than a religion since you are doing your "own thing" and not following the parameters of a specific religion...

BTW you are very knowledgable for your age...thank you for sharing.

Celly said...

Well, as it is considered a religion by the US government, I consider it a religion...