Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Effects of Harry Potter on the World Today.

The influences of Harry Potter have spread further, perhaps, than any other fiction, non-religious book. It has been translated into 67 languages, which is very close in number to the amount of languages the Qur’an has been translated into, and is greater than the amount of languages Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl is in. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of websites devoted to Harry Potter, podcasts, books written on the subject and author, musicals and parodies based off of it, huge parties at releases, a genre of music devoted to the Chosen One, a sport based off of one mentioned in the books, events, a theme park, and so much more. For someone who really tries, you can find references to the series anywhere, and quote it in any situation. It is THE best selling book series in the world, with over 400 million copies sold, and the Harry Potter Alliance, which raises money to support literacy, LGBT rights, and alert the world to “the dangers of global warming, genocide, and poverty” recently won the Chase Community Giving prize of $25,000. J.K. Rowling also raised over $30,000 for the Comic Relief fund.

However, I think the real affect of Harry Potter is how it impacts individual people. I know that I, for instance, would be an entirely different person without the lessons and support of this book series. Countless children were inspired to read because of these novels. Hundreds of fans were, as unlikely as it seems, brought back from the brink of suicide because they simply had to know how the final book ended, or were so inspired by the love that was shown to them from their fellows. This is another thing that is shocking and amazing about Harry Potter- the fandom is so close-knit and supportive of each other. For example, recently, a huge Potter fan, HPA member, and nerdighter, Esther Earl, died of cancer. The outpouring of kindness and respect towards her family was really spectacular- she was spoken of on Facebook, Mugglenet, the HPA website, AverageWizard, and many blogs (as well as this speech).

I suppose I should explain about AverageWizard. AverageWizard is a website devoted to stories about awesome, Harry Potter related things that people experience. One might post a story about having a wizard duel with someone, or giving a speech on the effect of Harry Potter on the world today. The truly magical thing about AverageWizard, though, is that it’s not just funny or cool stories- people truly care about what you have to say, and will go out of their way to make your day a little better. I haven’t noticed this (to this degree) on any other website. The members of the site are, really, however cheesy and dorky it may sound, a family, brought together by our love of The Boy Who Lived and each other. There have been several stories on the site about people suffering from depression who won their internal battle by recalling Harry’s hardships and triumphs over them, and the friends they had in this community of fantasy-obsessed, literary freaks. The comments were so overwhelmingly beautiful and heart-filled, I must admit, I start to cry each time I read those posts.

Now, onto these morals and lessons I keep mentioning. Some are obvious: never give up, even in the face of extreme opposition; maybe the person you thought was so horrible will be the one who helps you most in the end; everybody has a story that can change your opinion of them; even the smallest actions or creatures can make a huge difference. Some are direct quotes: “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” “Do not fear death... it is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!” “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts open...” I could go on for about 4,100 pages. I would like to note, however, that nowhere in the books can you find a statement in support of witchcraft as it is known in the “muggle” world, and there are few mentions at all of religion in the books. The idea that thousands of children are converting to Wicca because “that’s what Harry Potter did” is absurd- almost as absurd as it would be if a kid climbed into their parent’s car and tried to make it fly because “Harry Potter did that, too.” There are very few real examples of either happening.

In addition to these life lessons, Harry Potter offers strong role models, especially female ones. Other literary series don’t always have such formidable female characters. Take Twilight, for example. The main character lacks much personality, and shows little initiative, but is instantly popular, then meets Edward and suddenly, her life focuses solely around him. She really has no interests, no hobbies, no goals. Then, later in the series, she is constantly defended by others, doing hardly anything to defend herself, but instead being continually protected and rescued by Edward, Jacob, the Cullens, and the wolf pack- male characters always taking charge, ordering her about, and, in Edward’s case, showing all the signs of an emotionally abusive boyfriend. Now, take a look at the Harry Potter girls- there’s Hermione, who is intelligent, quick witted, independent, and top of the class, Luna, brave, rather... odd, also independent, brutally honest, sweet-natured, and accepting of the bizarre, Tonks, highly trained dark wizard hunter, Order member and mother, McGonagall, strict but very smart, loyal, and daring, also an Order member, a Hogwarts teacher, and an animagus, as well as dozens of other well-developed female leads.

Harry is also a bonding point for a generation; for people around the world. Having been translated into so many languages, it clearly has international recognition. There are few things that can bring the world together in such a way- sporting events like the Olympics, disasters, and Ms. Rowling’s masterpieces. Even if you don’t enjoy the books, they’re right up there with the weather as a safe topic to discuss- pretty much everyone’s heard of them, even if they haven’t read them. The fact that the people of today can be united through literature gives me hope in the fate of the world.

Full of role models, morals, and lessons, Harry Potter has helped an innumerable amount of people become better readers and defeat depression. It has also affected the greater world through the HPA, Comic Relief, and sheer numbers and popularity. It has inspired a community of friendship and support, and has crossed the barriers of age, nationality, gender, and religion to spread unity and hope around the world. As Severus Snape once said, “It’s real for us,” and it truly is. To twist a famous Dumbledore quote, “Harry Potter will only truly be gone from the world when none here are loyal to him.” The movies say otherwise, suggesting that “it all ends here,” but the true fans of Harry Potter- the real Dumbledore’s Army- knows better.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, I'm a big fan of Harty Potter ^^

Celly said...

See, I am OBSESSED with Harry Potter.

Jarmom said...

This is beautiful. I would probably be sitting around doing nothing if it weren't for Harry Potter. 3 Weeks ago, I made a Harry Potter Fan Page on facebook. 3 Weeks later, 1,000 fans. Talking to all these people, made me realize that I'm not alone. I will never forget the day my dad made me go with him on that 3 hour drive, that I started reading Harry Potter.

cherrygene said...

I'm addicted to Harry Potter ^-^ in a good way. For instance, if I'm sick and tired of work and some people around me, I think of reading my Harry Potter books. That has a calming effect on me. When once I flew off the handle, I regretted it. From then on, to keep my rage in check, I put the Harry Potter book beside me so I could remember my favorite parts in the books whenever I feel livid over something. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Catholic and I don't treat Harry Potter as my God. Instead, I see it as a gift from God (haha now that doesn't sound generic? sorry)to keep me cheerful..sort of like my cheering charm *^^*

Rose said...

I've been hooked on Harry Potter since early on in the series, and doing my best to share in the wizarding world since 2006. Feel free to check out www.hswcw.com if you need some hogwarts in your life.