Sunday, September 5, 2010

Book reviews.

I had to review some books for a project last year, and I just recently found them and thought I'd put them up here, since I haven't posted in a while.


1. Ever, by Gail Carson Levine

This enchanting fantasy and romance gives insight into biblical times in an area similar to the Mediterranean (possibly). I liked this book because even though the main character, Kezi, doesn’t face a situation I am likely to experience (sacrifice to her god), Kezi herself has a very human feel to her, and is easy to like and empathize with. The story is about more than just escaping being sacrificed, too - it’s also a tale of recognizing diversity, searching for the truth, and falling in love. This book may not be particularly deep, but it does draw the reader in with the clear writing style and wonderful settings. I definitely think this book is worth reading.

2. My Secret War, by Mary Pope Osborn

This historical fiction diary-style tale really captivated me and helped me to understand what life would have been like as an American kid during World War II. I liked this book because I was having trouble really understanding about efforts on the home front during WWII, which we were discussing in social studies class during our WWII section. My Secret War helped to give real life examples of ways kids helped, from victory gardens to collecting scrap metal. With the help of this book, I aced my test!

3. Blue Flame, by K. M. Grant

Another book with a problem focused on religion, Blue Flame takes place mainly in the year 1242, before which fell the Albigensian crusade against the Cathars. Two of the main characters, Yolanda and Raimon, are in love, as well as childhood friends. The only problem is that Yolanda is a Catholic and Raimon is a Cathar. I like how Grant placed despicable and nice characters on both sides, never really taking the side of the Catholics or the Cathars. I can’t wait to read book 2!

4. And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie

A mystery and horror novel, this book really frightened me. I must admit, I really didn’t like it and only finished it because it was assigned for school. The plot was good, and the mystery nearly impossible to solve, but at the root of it was a delusional maniac who purposely lured people to his island to kill them all. I had nightmares for weeks. The only thing I liked about this book was the amazing writing. I do not recommend this book for people who scare easily.

5. The Diary of Anne Frank

Wow. I doubt anyone could read this book and not feel touched by it, especially knowing what later happened to her. This book got a little boring in the middle when she and her family were hidden in the Annex, but on the whole, it was amazing. I liked reading a book by a girl around my age who went through something like this because it really put things into perspective for me. She had way more to complain about than me, but she still kept up hope. I’m very glad I read this and recommend it to anybody and everybody.

6. The Maze by Will Hobbs

This book was pretty lame. Also assigned, it takes place in- you guessed it- the Maze. The main character, Rick, is sent to Juvy for throwing rocks at a stop sign. He is finally forced to escape because his fellow inmates are trying to beat him to death. Rick hitchhikes to the Maze, where he comes across the camp of Lon Peregrino, a bird biologist who is trying to reintroduce California Condors into the wild. Eventually, Rick risks his life to save Lon and the birds. The only part of this story I liked was the basic message- try and save your friends and the environment, in this case condors.

7. Green Jasper, by K. M. Grant

Amazing! I love the De Granville Trilogy, and the second book in this series is just as good as the first. Thrilling and suspenseful, Green Jasper shows what happened after the crusade to the de Granville brothers, Will and Gavin, as well as to the most amazing character in the series, their horse, Hosanna. I liked the excitement easily and simply explained by the author, and the dangers of life in England after the crusade are really brought to life in this book.

8. The Hollow Kingdom, by Clare B. Dunkle

Hmmm…. I wasn’t really sure whether I liked it or no until the middle, and then promptly began to dislike it after that. The beginning of this book was o.k. – I mean, being captured by goblins to be their wives? Doubt it. But then, I grew to like it. The characters were kind, and Kate, the Goblin King’s new wife, is treated well. After that, though, things started to go downhill. Dunkle attempted to add a whole other plotline into the story, which sort of ruined the book for me. Anyways, this book was fairly good all in all.

9. Stanford Wong Flunks Big Time, by Lisa Yee

We’ve heard it from Millecent Min’s side, now it’s time to hear the tale through Stanford. Not usually the type of book I read, this book was light and filled with somewhat real life situations. Sure, maybe no 13 year-olds I know are skipping up to college, but some of my friends are flunking classes, dealing with sports issues, or are enduring their parents fighting. A great realistic book for summer: easy to read and fun.

10. Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
Great! Another somewhat light novel, this book is filled with wit and humor. As a professional actress, I greatly sympathize with Holling Hoodhood, the main character, when he has to appear in a Shakspearean play- in yellow tights! I, too have had to wear awful costumes in front of my classmates. I liked this book because it was just hilarious.

No comments: