Sunday, March 21, 2010

Church.

I went to the Christian church on my school's property today. Our school choir was apparently needed there to sing.

But don't bother to pay us for showing up at 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning for choir, abandoning all our weekend activities, rehearsing for an hour, standing in church for an hour and a half and almost fainting because there were no chairs and we used all our breath for singing, and staying late to help put chairs away, not to mention actually singing.

No, instead WE have to pay for this amazing opportunity to learn the ropes of the "music business." As if the school choir was considered part of the music business by anyone but the parents.... *sigh* At least they gave us donuts.

Standing up in the choir loft, I had plenty of time to think over church and the sermon and the people standing far below me. It seems to me that often, a lot of mean, rude, horrible people go to church regularly. I wonder if it makes them feel more important and holy than other people, or if they feel guilty and are trying to purge themselves of their sins, or whether they just have nothing better to do on a Sunday.

This leads me to my second observation- many people who go to church are sad, lonely, and sometimes grumpy because of this (which makes them hard to tell from the first lot). These people are often old, but not always. My grandma falls into this category. This group usually goes to church because it makes them feel better, it's part of their routine, and they get to talk to people instead of just sitting at home. It's their community, no matter how rarely they may actually talk to the individual people.

In a way, you've got to admire these people for getting out of the house and talking to people, contributing to society (even if it is just the small society of their church), volunteering to acolyte, etc., or just filling some seats. You (or at least I do) also have to kind of feel sorry for these people. My grandma, for example, is widowed, has few friends, and spends most of her time watching tv and reading murder mysteries. Otherwise, she has plenty of friends from church, acolytes and volunteers regularly, and contributes wholeheartedly in all drives and collections. In fact, she knitted over 100 hats for children in shelters last year.

My poor eternal soul may burn for it, but I don't think I'll start going to church regularly.

5 comments:

CJ said...

Jesus died for our sins. You are young....you will find your way back.

Celly said...

I don't believe that, but I'm perfectly fine with you thinking that as fine as you don't try to convert me.

I can't find my way back to something if I've never been there.

And I'm not quite sure I want to find my way to your path. I have my own, and I am perfectly happy with it at this point. I kind of resent the fact that you think I don't follow Jesus just because I'm formative and young.

CJ said...

Sorry for the misinterpretation. I meant that Jesus died for our sins therefore he will always welcome you. After reading your post I thought of you as a follower of Jesus, but felt that you wanted to journy down another path.

This is why I try to stay away from religious posts and comments, because they never come across how I want them to. Have you read the blunders I made on my blog?

Celly said...

It's perfectly fine. It actually happens all the time, but it's not usually a misinterpretation. I am not actually a follower of Jesus; in some of my earlier posts I mention that I am Pagan. I do go to a Christian school, and sing in the church/school choir when I have to, but I only go to the school for the academics and I only go to church for the singing.

I, too, try to stay away from religious comments (at least on other people's blogs, you never know how they'll take it), but I don't mind people posting things about their beliefs on mine, nor do I think that i should avoid posting about my beliefs on my blog for fear of angering someone. (If they don't like it, they won't keep reading. Simple as that.)

It seems like most things we say are understood differently by other people.

I have read some of your blog, but I didn't notice too many blunders.

luyf;u said...

I used to go to church but don't anymore- I don't regret not going at all. I feel that my path will reveal itself to me in due course.