Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hitty II

Hitty traveled with me everywhere I went for years, but Hitty's most dangerous escapade didn't really involve her doing much. I had been baking cookies or something of the like in the kitchen, listening to music and minding my own business (with Hitty on the counter beside me, of course) when, all of a sudden, my dear father comes up behind me, quietly, and SCREAMS RIGHT IN MY EAR! Of course, I jump quite a bit, and my arm bumps the poor little doll, and suddenly, there's this horrible resounding crash, and there's Hitty, her face smashed in, and her legs gone, and just generally destroyed. Of course, I was absolutely devestated, and fled to the backyard and wouldn't talk to my dad again for hours and hours.

When I finally went back in, we (my disgraced father and I) began to pick up the remnants of poor Hitty. Her face was in three pieces, with one chunk gone from the back of her head, one arm was in a few pieces, a leg was cracked, and one foot/leg was entirely torn to pieces, with nothing left below the knee, and dust like pieces all over the floor. Miraculously, we patched her up fairly well (with two months, eight tubes of superglue, and a full batch of epoxy) and, although she hasn't really been quite the same since, she does have all four limbs and a face.

I was, however, a little bit more cautious with her, and after that, she really only went on day outings (with the occasional adventure from the safety of my suitcase). This was her last major injury to date. She has, however, somehow managed to break without anyone doing anything to her at all. Three times now I have come home to find a limb of Hitty's in pieces. I can only assume she's fallen, or gotten knocked around by my cat or mom, or something like that. The last time that's happened was just about two or three weeks ago, and I'm not quite sure I'll be able to fix her leg very well (all that's left is a few bits of lower calf and the shell of a previous epoxy layer), bugt, I'll do my best.

Hitty'll make it. She always does, somehow.

(And now I feel rather silly, talking about a doll as if it were alive. But Hitty sort of does that- she almost has a personality.)

No comments: