Monday, June 14, 2010

Hitty I

So, last post I told you all about my very dorky porcelain doll collection. Now I can go into even more detail on this dorky habit, and describe one particular porcelain doll who has gone through quite a lot. Her name is, as you might have guess from the title, Hitty. I took the name from a book I read when I was little about a wooden doll (named Hitty) who had many adventures, from living in an old wood cabin, to become an idol on the island of a bunch full of Pagan savages. (Old book, you know.) The book was called "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years" and was written from the perspective of the doll. Even though my Hitty is porcelain, not wood, I thought the name fit, and she's been Hitty ever seen. Unfortunately, the nickname of "Hit," meaning "beat up the doll" kind of also went along with her, and she's been in a huge amount of accidents.

When i first bought Hitty at a used bookshop, she was already old. Her hair was matted, her dress faded, her eyelashes torn. Nothing new for someone who usually buys old, poor condition dolls. But she looked special to me. She looked old, not just pre-used. I liked her.

So, I started taking this doll with me everywhere (I was only seven or eight). Once, when I went to visit my aunt A (My mom's sister), I took her with me. She flew with me and my mom to my aunt's house, and then stayed there with me after my mom left for almost three weeks. Then she flew with me on my first flight alone, and we went to stay with my dad's brother (my uncle S and his family). But, in the airport with Aunt A, disaster struck. Passing through security, Hitty's arm got caught on something, and broke into about 3 pieces. So, I removed that arm, put the pieces in my glasses case, and trusted that my uncle would be able to fix it (he was). THe thing I didn't realise, however, is that when the arm/leg of a doll comes off, the other limb on the same side will ALSO come off. THey're connected, you see. So, halfway throught eh flight, there goes her leg. Luckily, everything was fine. She was fixed, with only one permanent change- she no longer has a pinky finger on her left hand.

THE ADVENTURES OF HITTY, THE HIGHLY BREAKABLE PORCELAIN DOLL: TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: