Thursday, August 19, 2010

MAMD.

I've told you about A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel. I have explained, at least a little, how awesome Starkid is.

What I haven't told you about are their other two shows- Little White Lie and Me and My Dick. You can probably see why, for the second one. For the first, well, I haven't seen it yet, although I do want to.

I avoided watching Me and My Dick for a long time. First of all, I wanted to make sure I wasn't interrupted- the subject is a little awkward- so, I waited until I had a long enough period of time alone in the house to watch the whole thing in one go, which doesn't happen all that often.

Yesterday, that opportunity finally rolled around, and, lo and behold, I thought it was brilliant. Totally inappropriate, sure, but very, very funny.

There are several reasons the show's so funny.

First of all, it features all of your favorite Starkids- Joey Richter (Ron Weasley) as himself, Joe Walker (Voldemort/Professor Umbridge) as Dick, and a ton of other characters, including Cho Chang as Miss Cooter, Ginny as Sally, Yaxley as Big T, Sirius as Old Snatch, Darren Criss (Harry Potter) on guitar. Anything with Starkids in it has to be great.

Second, there were references to it in AVPM and AVPS that I didn't catch when I first watched the show, that I now understand, and other little scraps of sentences that were reused in AVPM. Everytime I caught one of those references it made me smile.

Third, the characters are entirely different and hilariously portrayed. I mean, there's Joe Walker, who is amazingly handsome, and who we last saw in drag playing the mean, mad, but misunderstood Umbridge, playing Joey Richter's best friend, who also happens to be his dick. It's a little funny. Also, there's several guys in drag, including one of the writers and the guy who played Sirius in AVPS, who, by the way, is my friend of Facebook. You have to laugh just to think how embarassed you would be to play their roles.

Fourth, Starkid is brilliant. The lines are funny, the songs are well worded, the music is really very good, even if the lyrics are a little odd. They could put on CATS! and make it fabulous, I swear, and that's really difficult.

Fifth, it's inappropriate, and crude, and weird. There's that little part of you (especially when you're younger and so much of your life is controlled by parents and teachers and everyone else) that says, "oh my, I shouldn't be watching this. I shouldn't be here, but I am, and I'm happy about that." And hey, better to be watching a performance with good acting, music, and lessons about following your heart and sticking with your friends than doing, say, illegal drugs.

Even if the performance does happen to revolve around matters that aren't commonly socially accepted as something to put on a musical about.

No comments: